Tuesday, May 18, 2010

He is Strong!

http://expressbuzz.com/cities/chennai/slave-driver-son-get-5-years-ri/174590.html


I feel overwhelmed as I write this. Tears welling up in my eyes as a man on my team exclaims, “This is a sign that the King is just”!
The sentence: 5 years imprisonment for all three accused under the crime of “Habitual dealing in slaves” among other offenses they have committed.

The owner sexually abused many women in the facility, emotionally and physically abused others, physically assaulted an IJM employee, and was bold enough to bond another set of laborers after the first rescue operation. He bonded laborers once in 2004 and then again, in 2005. Now…five years later a sentence finally arrives!

The term “Modern day abolitionists” has a new ring today. It has reached a new depth that it had not previously held in my life. My team members are known as these “modern day abolitionists” and are part of structural transformation. It has been 130 years since this law was last successfully used. This is the beginning of a slave-free India. This is the beginning of taking bonded labor and slavery seriously.

I sob as I realize that none of this is really possible without my God. That he is more powerful than we give him credit for. If we would only ask….ask for big things…He wants to surprise and overwhelm us with great gifts! He delights in our rejoicing!
Praise the King of Justice who cares about the voiceless and sends his children to stand in the gap between violent abusers and those that are oppressed. He has called us to be advocates and a voice calling out in the wilderness and now we see the blessings and the bounty!

Rejoice!!!

1 comment: