Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things that might not happen on a regular basis back home

Things currently making me chuckle:
1.I saw maybe the best thing ever a few days ago. A herd of ducks...BEING herded in a grassy marsh!
2. I bought a few things at a local shop and gave the man a bill that I would need change back for. Instead of giving me my change back, he tried to convince me to buy HIM for 50 Rupees...(I said no!)
3. I joined a few friends in getting a chocolate treat a few days back. Another guy was in the shop and gave me a bite of his dessert so I could try it out. This has never happened to me back in the states.
4. I asked a guy friend a question while strolling down the street to the sound of horns and the smells of who knows what (typical, mind you). Instead of answering, he grabbed my bag hanging around my body and spun me around behind him and off the street...in order to stop the huge bus from hitting me. (mom, you can send that helmet. I'll wear it even for just strolling down streets!)
5. I asked an auto driver how much a 2 Kilometer ride back home would be. He said it would be 210 Rupees!! It is definitely suppose to be 20 RP. A kind man on his motorcycle next to us gave me a ride for free, though we got into a tussle with a huge pothole and almost crashed, sending his cell phone flying out of his pocket.
6. Police officers tried to give me a ride back home...I did not take it. Slightly creepy.
7. Today, I got my haircut and decided to be daring. It was a bad choice. When I was little, my dear mother once gave my sister and I bowl cuts...yes, bowl cuts (like little boys have). Even when I look back on our sweet angelic faces, I cant help but feel queasy just looking at our awful hair. Apparently I didn't hate it enough because somehow I have it again. (Hopes of finding n South Asian husband are now out of the question) Dang it!
8. I have developed cat like reflexes as a response to the large and never ending amount of ants in my house. Pray that they all die. (God cares even about the little things)

My new rule: Stick to only one adventure a day

5 comments:

  1. I love this...mostly because I'm having similar adventures, so I can laugh to keep from crying with you. I just got to my new place, and while it's very beautiful and has air con AND hot water, it also has ants and funny food and it's freaking in the middle of nowhere. I'm planning on blogging today after I unpack, so maybe we can commiserate. You're beautiful, by the way, even with a bowl cut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! You are bringing bowl cuts BACK in dear jancy loo!!! yay! And I am very very sure that south asian men would still want to jump/marry you!
    hehe, love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooo funny!!! a little concerned that you might die from a bus or motorcycle accident... but I'll trust God with that one! Jana, we miss you so much but I'm SO glad we got to spend time together before you left. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have given the angels in heaven a headache already having to take turns watching out for you. Give 'em a break, o.k.? Try to stay out of trouble. I am inspired by your attitude; I will try it myself....tomorrow... just kidding. Keep smiling, cutie. your 2nd mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. i swear to god if the south asians could some how figure out how to herd ants they'd make a fortune!

    ReplyDelete